Tuesday, November 19, 2013

When Things Happen

Sometimes things go your way sometimes they don't. Then there is an interesting place where you think that things are going to happen and nothing does, or that place where you don't expect anything to happen and you are taken by surprise. This week I was given an opportunity to spread the word about my work that was completely unexpected. I jumped at the chance to get the word out to sell more art and get things done. I  diligently gave it all I had to not only make this contact feel appreciated for the chance but also make the most of this free advertising.

Everything was settled and the ad went up. Pleased with myself I waited. I sat back and just waited for views and sales to come rolling in. I checked my accounts ever few minutes for something to happen. The whole day went by and relatively nothing happened. I had done exactly what I had always told myself not to do. I had pinned my hopes on this windfall of an opportunity. I thought that this was my big break, I will get somewhere today. I will be successful, and all without having to work as hard as I had for the last couple of months.

I really should learn by now that the old adage of "don't count your chickens before they hatch," is so true. I cannot pin all of my hopes to some off chance. I would then be just like the people who are on reality television who confess to the watching audience that this is my only chance to make something of myself, if I don't win that I will have to go home a failure. What!? Seriously!? I always question the validity of those people's stories. Are you still alive? Are you still capable of doing stuff? If that is that case then your endeavors are not completely over you can still keep working even though your windfall chance didn't pan out.

That is what it is anyways, A Chance. You gambled that you would succeed on this it didn't work out but that doesn't mean that you are a failure. Gambling is just that, it is taking a chance that you are going to get a great reward for a minimal amount of effort. Some times it pans out sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't mean you don't take a chance and gamble on your prospects, but it also doesn't mean that you have to stop trying if your gamble doesn't pay off. Is means you just have to keep plugging along working towards your goals, maybe you can gable again or maybe not. What matters is that you don't stop trying just because chance wasn't in you favor for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment