Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Getting Back on Track

Sometimes I can get a bit distracted. There are lots of things that can distract me from my work and my goals. It has been great to get the commission pieces that I have had the last couple of months. I always love to have something new to work on, but this meant that I had put to the side the other things that I have been working on.

Before I got my commissions, I had started work on a portrait of my great-grandma. This was a planned exercise for me to practice portraiture in watercolor. Now that I have finished these commissions, it has been weeks since I have touched the portrait. Not that this is a bad thing. Sometimes taking a break from a piece can help you to gain more insight into how to make it better. It just makes me feel bad for ignoring it for long.

I have made a list of works that I want to complete by the end of the year, but I have been distracted from those goals. It is important to come back to goals. We can get distracted with life all of the time, but if your goals are important enough for you to complete them you will make time to work on them.

I don't know if I will be able to finish all of the things that I have lined up for this year. I have quite a list of things that I want to get done, and we are closing in on the holidays where I will have even less time to work on stuff. What is important is that I work toward my goal no matter what. Even though I may not get it done, I will have gotten more done than if I had given up because I was afraid of the work. I will not be discouraged by the amount of work I still have to do on my goals. I will get it done when it gets done.

Life can happen. It does all of the time, and when it does we have to make adjustments. We cannot be prepared for everything, and as humans we have the ability to adapt to the changing circumstances of our lives. By adapting my work time line, to compensate for the time I spent on the commission's, I can be flexible enough to make my goals still realistic.

It is interesting looking back at my original goal for this year, and seeing all of the changes I have made to them along the way. We still have four months left of the year, I wonder how life will influence them to change in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment