Monday, September 9, 2013

Finding Satifaction

There is nothing more gratifying that making progress on a task, or a job well done. The hard part is getting to that point. There can be so much in between beginning and end, that we sometime feel like we are never going to make it to the end. I can often get stuck in a loop, where I don't really have motivation to do anything, because I know just how much work is going to have to be done to get it completion, that I just don't know how to get started. I sit there and think, I just don't want to put in the effort. This leads to my being lazy the rest of the day, and then I feel like crap, because I didn't end up doing anything with my time. Then because I feel like crap I don't feel like I can do anything, and so I don't, thus making myself feel even worse. All this leads to a sad downward spiral.

It is an interesting paradox. I don't want to put in effort, then I feel bad that I didn't put effort into anything. My laziness and my self worth fight each other on a continual basis. I have learned that you have to use logic to help self worth win the fight over laziness. Laziness doesn't use logic, it's just to lazy to do it. Laziness is made up of dreams, a crazy illogical place where you are supposed to feel good about thinking about things you want to do. Self worth is made up of achievements, where you have done the things that make you feel good, and thus you actually feel good. Laziness is an illusion of happiness, where as Self worth actually is happiness.

So, what do I do everyday to get myself going? I think about this logic. I think to myself, Will I actually be happier if I sit here on the couch today watching movies, or will I feel happier and more content if I clean the house, do some writing, and work on some of my art work? Will playing another pointless game on my phone actually bring meaning to my life? Or will playing with my kid bring meaning to my life?

When I have successfully played out the logic of my actions, I usually pull myself out of the couch, and go do something. It is at that point that I realize that, hey, this really isn't as bad as laziness has made it out to be. This work really isn't as grueling or terrible as my illogical dream world of laziness lead me to believe. I gain that sense of satisfaction of having been productive during the day, and in the end find true happiness rather than pretended happiness.

There are many ways to work out the logic that will pull you out of the people eating couch. The first step is to just do it. Pull yourself out of the black hole, and give yourself a task. This is why people break goals down into steps, because they can look at things from a different perspective, and not feel so overwhelmed by a task that laziness's argument wins. If you are looking for instant gratification, then pick a smaller task to work on at the moment, and then work up to the bigger one. The mental high of satisfaction gained from a small task well done, can help you along the way to completing those more difficult challenges. Instant gratification doesn't have to come from eating an ice cream sandwich, but can come from a clean kitchen, or a swept floor. Something that only takes minutes of productivity, can steam roll into greatness if you will let it continue to motivate you into action. Use this a positive reinforcement. An upward spiral can be just as effective as the downward spiral that laziness can create.

Self worth comes when you are done with even the simplest of goals. As job well done can boost your confidence in your abilities. It can also show you just how much you are truly capable of. Laziness will tell you every day that you are not up to par. When you complete a task you get to tell laziness that it is full of crap and it should take a hike, because you a capable productive individual full of self worth, and you don't need the crazy illogical dream world full of false happiness that laziness offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment